Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Duke Energy’s Power Manager smart thermostat option?
- Power Manager is a voluntary program for Duke Energy residential electric customers who have eligible smart thermostats connected to their central air conditioning.
- In extremely high temperatures electricity demand increases and can cause strain on the grid. Duke Energy’s Power Manager smart thermostat option is designed to help reduce energy use during times of high energy demand. This helps preserve natural resources and delays the need for new power plants. That’s good for the environment, and it helps keep energy costs low for everyone.
- Participants agree to brief adjustments of 4 degrees or less to their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through Sept. 30. Adjustments to your thermostat typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays, except in the rare event of a system emergency. Summer events may occur from May 1 through September 30 during the hours of 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participants will receive a one-time $75 e-gift card (limit one per household) after successfully enrolling in the program. In addition, participants will receive a $25 e-gift card each year following the anniversary of their enrollment in the program.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must:
- Be a Duke Energy residential electric customer in Indiana and have the electric service in your name.
- Use an eligible internet-connected smart thermostat for cooling
- Allow Duke Energy to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on days of high energy demand.
- Not be a residential time-of-use or net metering customer
- What is my enrollment incentive?
You will receive a one-time $75 e-gift card after successfully enrolling in the program (one e-gift card per household).
- When will I receive the $75 e-gift card for enrolling in the Power Manager smart thermostat option ?
You will receive your $75 enrollment e-gift card within 60 days of being accepted into the Power Manager smart thermostat option. The $75 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- How do I receive the $25 e-gift card annual participation incentive?
You will receive one $25 e-gift card per household following the anniversary of your enrollment for each year that you are enrolled in the option. The $25 e-gift card will be sent to the email address used to register your smart thermostat.
- Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee, SmartThermostat with voice control, ecobee Smart Thermostat Enhanced, ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Google Nest Nest Thermostat, Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E Amazon Amazon Smart Thermostat
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
Provider Terms and Conditions Alarm.com Terms & Conditions ecobee Terms & Conditions Emerson Terms & Conditions Honeywell Home Terms & Conditions Lux Terms & Conditions Google Nest Terms & Conditions Amazon Terms & Conditions
- How do I sign up for Duke Energy’s Power Manager smart thermostat option?
Confirm your eligibility for the Power Manager smart thermostat option by answering these three questions:
- Are you a Duke Energy Indiana residential electric customer?
- Do you use an eligible, internet-connected thermostat to control your central air conditioning?
- Will you allow the Power Manager smart thermostat option to make brief, small thermostat adjustments on high energy demand days or in the event of a system emergency?
If you answered yes to these three questions, please choose whether you have a thermostat to enroll in Duke Energy’s Power Manager smart thermostat option or if you would like to purchase a new, qualifying thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. Then, click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you will follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in the Power Manager smart thermostat option.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed by Duke Energy, you will be enrolled in the smart thermostat option. You will receive a notification on your enrollment status via email using the address provided in your account registration.
- How will I know that a temperature adjustment is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications will appear on the thermostat or in your web/mobile application.
- How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- At the start of an adjustment event, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature setting.
- The event will typically last less than four hours on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Once the event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Will participating in the smart thermostat option compromise my comfort?
Only on event days, your thermostat will be adjusted by 4 degrees or less. Your participation is voluntary and you will retain control of your thermostat. You can easily opt out of an event for any reason.
- Am I allowed to opt out of thermostat adjustment events?
Yes. During an event, you can opt out from your thermostat, mobile device or web app.
- What should I do if I no longer want to participate in the Power Manager smart thermostat option?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to end your participation in the Power Manager smart thermostat option. Once you have been taken off the program, your thermostat(s) will no longer be controlled and you will not receive the annual participation incentive.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
Please email email@example.com.